Recently I have an unusual problem. Services.exe causes high RAM usage on one of my servers. Reason why is this happened is too many records in Event Viewer (more than one million).
This can cause also corruption of .evt file.
How to resolve problem?
We can use two steps.
First you can be patient and try to clear your .evt file from records. But if .evt file is corrupted you maybe couldn’t do that.
Second step is to delete corrupted .evt files and here is steps how to do it:
- Click the Start button, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Services.
- Select the EventLog service and click Startup. Change the Startup Type to Disabled, and then click OK. If you are unable to log on to the computer but can access the registry remotely, you can change the Startup value in the following registry key to 0x4:
- Restart Windows.NOTE: When the system starts up, several services may fail; a message informing the user to use Event Viewer to review errors may appear.
- Rename or move the corrupt *.evt file from the following location:
- In Control Panel Services tool, re-enable the EventLog service by setting it back to the default of Automatic startup, or change the registry Startup value back to 0x2.